My Course "Advanced Algorithms and Data Structures" at Harbour.Space University

Revision en1, by MikeMirzayanov, 2017-12-07 10:32:37

Hi, Codeforces!

This is not an ordinary post from me. This is not an announcement of new features or a championship, but I'm no less enthusiastic.

I am glad to inform you that from January 29 to February 16, 2018 I will be giving the course "Advanced Algorithms and Data Structures" in Harbour.Space University (Barcelona, Spain). The course will be in English. The students of this course will not only be students of Harbour.Space, but is open to all! Who wants to join?

This course isn't just for Harbour.Space students, it is also open to Codeforces participants, who will be offered a special price, 1000 EUR. The cost does not include travel or accommodation.

Register for the Course →

In my plans there is a detailed story about some algorithms and data structures, a lot of practical exercises and emphasis not only on the correctness, but also the beauty and structure of the code. My goal is to make useful and interesting classes for both those who want to understand the fundamental CS, and for those interested in programming competitions. And of course, we will have the opportunity to meet and talk. I'm happy to share stories about the history of Codeforces and development plans.

The course will consist of three weeks of training, 5 training days in each week. The program includes daily lectures and practical exercises. It will not be boring for sure!

Here is the expected course outline:

Week Day Topics
1 1 Heap data structure, heap properties and operations. HeapSort. Priority queue. Other heap applications. Mergeable heaps: binomial heap, pairing heap, randomised meldable heap.
1 2 Fenwick tree. Description and motivation. Implementation of Fenwick tree. Generalisation for higher dimensions. Skip list data structure. Implementation details. Indexable skiplist.
1 3 Segment trees. Top-down implementation. Bottom-up implementation. Segment trees applications. Persistent data structures. Persistent stack, persistent array. Persistent Fenwick and segment trees.
1 4 Cartesian trees, treap data structure. Merge and split operations. Treap implementation in detail. Treap applications.
1 5 Treaps with implicit keys. Ropes. Segment reverse operation. Examples of problems.
2 6 Introduction to strings. String searching (matching) problem. Pattern pre processings. Z-function, prefix-function. Their applications. Knuth–Morris–Pratt algorithm. Matching finite state machine.
2 7 Multiple pattern matching. Trie data structure. Aho-Corasick algorithm. Implementation details. Dynamic programming on a trie.
2 8 String hashing. Rabin-Karp algorithm. Fast substrings comparison with hashes. Suffix array. LCP array. Efficient construction algorithm. Applications.
2 9 Suffix tree. Ukkonen's algorithm. Suffix tree construction from LCP array. Suffix tree applications.
2 10 Suffix automaton. Size bounds. Linear Algorithm. Using suffix automata as an index for approximate string searches.
3 11 Introduction to automata theory. Formal languages. Context-free languages. Formal grammars. Context-free grammars. NFA, DFA, convert NFA to DFA. Build automaton by regular expression.
3 12 LL(1) parser. Arithmetic expressions parsing. Shunting-yard algorithm. Simplified Pascal language parsing and interpretation.
3 13 Algorithms for traversing a graph. DFS. Properties. DFS search tree. Edges classification. Linear bridge-finding algorithm. Linear articulation points finding algorithm. Strongly connected components. Tarjan's strongly connected components algorithm.
3 14 Tree problems. Bottom-up approach. LCA problem. LCA algorithms.
3 15 Bipartite graphs. König’s criterion. Problems: maximum matching, minimum edge cover, maximum independent vertex set, minimum vertex cover. Connection of the problems. Berge's lemma. Kuhn algorithm. Kuhn algorithm properties. Minimal vertex cover by maximum matching. Cover DAG by minimal number of paths.

Harbor.Space University is located in Barcelona (Spain). For users of Codeforces, Harbour.Space is known for active participation in the life of the community of sports programming (partnership with Codeforces in the framework of Educational Rounds). The main activity of the university is teaching (there are bachelor's and master's programs) in the following areas:

• Maths as a Second Language
  • Computer Science
  • Data Science
  • Cyber Security
  • Interaction Design
  • Digital Marketing
  • High Tech Entrepreneurship
  • FinTech
  • BioTech
  • Aerospace Engineering
  • SuperCities UrbanTech

Register for my upcoming course here.

Mike Mirzayanov

Tags harbourspace

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en3 English MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:40:19 0 (published)
ru10 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:37:42 91
en2 English MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:34:41 10 Tiny change: '://goo.gl/xjgMuR">"Advance' -> '://goo.gl/u5nTmk">"Advance'
en1 English MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:32:37 5230 Initial revision for English translation
ru9 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:23:32 155
ru8 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:20:36 21
ru7 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:20:20 1 Мелкая правка: 'e="margin:30px; font' -> 'e="margin:130px; font'
ru6 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:20:14 2 Мелкая правка: 'e="margin:20px; font-' -> 'e="margin:30px; font-'
ru5 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:20:06 2 Мелкая правка: 'e="margin:10px; font-' -> 'e="margin:20px; font-'
ru4 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:19:59 17
ru3 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:19:33 17 Мелкая правка: '<a style="padding: 5' -> '<a style="font-size: 24px; padding: 5'
ru2 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 10:19:20 395
ru1 Russian MikeMirzayanov 2017-12-07 09:54:24 4685 Первая редакция (сохранено в черновиках)