Longest subarray that contains a majority element

Revision en1, by Lance_HAOH, 2018-01-17 07:26:36

Hi. I am trying to solve this problem.

For convenience, I have summarized the problem statement below.

Problem Statement

Given an array of length  ≤ 2e6 containing integers in the range [0, 1e6], find the longest subarray that contains a majority element (i.e. an element that occurs  > ⌊ N / 2⌋ times in a list of length N).

Time limit: 1.5s

Example

If the given array is [1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2],

The answer is 5 because the subarray [2, 1, 2, 3, 2] from position 1 to 5 (0-indexed) has the number 2 which appears 3 > ⌊ 5 / 2⌋ times. Note that we cannot take the entire array because 3 = ⌊ 6 / 2⌋ .

My attempt

The first thing that comes to mind is an obvious brute force (but correct) solution which fixes the start and end indexes of a subarray and loop through it to check if it contains a majority element. Then we take the length of the longest subarray that contains a majority element. This works in after a small optimization. Clearly, this will not pass the time limit.

I also tried asking the same question on stack overflow, but did not receive a satisfactory answer (after several wrong suggestions and much discussion, I tried implementing the answer by Pham Trung that was given in the link, but it seems to fail on this case: [3, 3, 5, 2, 4, 1, 5]).

Could someone please advise me on a better approach to solve this problem?

Tags #array, #dunjudgeme

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English Lance_HAOH 2018-01-17 07:26:36 1696 Initial revision (published)