A general question about getting better at CP

Revision en2, by sankalp_, 2018-06-09 10:34:13

Dear all,

I am not good at competitive programming but I am willing to put in the effort to get better at it. I had a small question which I though might help me and a lot of people like me who want to get better at CP.

It is not a question asking how to solve problem X or which method to use. I just wanted to know if, let's say you start solving a question. Can you look at the question and realize.. Oh!! this question can be solved using DP or graphs or some paradigm Y.

Or rather, how long does it usually take for the idea to click in your head?

Also, do you have a specific method to determine what to use(I know it is not possible in most cases) like looking at the constraints or the time limit or anything like that?

Is there any particular pattern you follow while solving problems? Like.. do you select a problem to solve in you free time randomly or based on a particular tag?

I found a couple of good blog entries by Morass and DarthPrince from which I practice topic specific problems and I am practicing algorithms from CLRS. Are there any resources that I am missing? If so can you please specify the names or post the links?

Also, on an average basis, how much time do you spend on CP per day?

Thank you.

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en3 English sankalp_ 2018-06-18 11:08:46 807 Tiny change: 'n[POST:]\nDear all' -> 'n[POST:]\n\nDear all'
en2 English sankalp_ 2018-06-09 10:34:13 79
en1 English sankalp_ 2018-06-08 10:07:26 1222 Initial revision (published)