Converting 2D Dominance Relation to a DAG

Revision en2, by proofbycontradiction, 2019-02-10 13:19:45

Hi all,

Consider n lattice points in a 2D grid {(x1, y1)....(xn, yn)}. A point (x1, y1) is said to dominate another point (x2, y2) if and only if x1 > x2 and y1 > y2. Obviously this dominance relation defines a DAG: G has an edge if point u dominates point v. Let us call this the dominance graph.

My question is this, is it possible to efficiently (say in time O(nlog(n))) compute the dominance graph?

Obviously, the dominance graph could have O(n2) edges. For example, if every point lies on the x = y line, then each point would dominate all points below it, giving us nC2 edges. But I would be happy with a graph that would INDUCE the dominator graph by transitivity.

So, in the example above, instead of nC2 edges, it is sufficient to keep n - 1 edges.

This is not from any contest. It's just something that I'm curious about and haven't been able to make progress on. I don't even know if this graph is going to be sparse enough to be explicitly computed.

Tags dag, graphs, geometry

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English proofbycontradiction 2019-02-10 13:19:45 271 Clarified example a bit more.
en1 English proofbycontradiction 2019-02-10 13:13:04 828 Initial revision (published)