Atcoder Beginner Contest 174 — Unofficial English Editorial

Revision en2, by AnandOza, 2020-08-02 16:57:47

Hi all, Atcoder Beginner Contest 174 was today. I wrote an unofficial English editorial. Hope it helps!

A: Air Conditioner

We simply write an if statement.

Runtime: $$$\mathcal{O}(1)$$$.

Sample code

B: Distance

We can loop through all the points, and test each one. To avoid potential rounding errors, it's simplest to check $$$x^2 + y^2 \le D^2$$$, so we can keep everything in integers.

Runtime: $$$\mathcal{O}(N)$$$.

Sample code

C: Repsept

First, we simplify: if $$$k$$$ is a multiple of $$$7$$$, then we can look for a number like $$$1111$$$ that's a multiple of $$$k/7$$$. Otherwise, using $$$7777$$$ instead of $$$1111$$$ doesn't help us.

If you consider the sequence of numbers to check as $$$a_i = 10 a_{i-1} + 1$$$ modulo $$$k$$$, there is guaranteed to be a solution within $$$k$$$ steps if and only if $$$\mathrm{gcd}(10, k) = 1$$$. So we can check for impossibility using this fact, and then iterate through the choices otherwise and check them all until we find the smallest one that works.

Take care to test locally on $$$k=1$$$ specifically, it's easy to get this wrong with a loop.

Runtime: $$$\mathcal{O}(k)$$$.

Sample code

D: Alter Altar

A few quick observations:

• At the end, we want a sequence that looks like RRRRWWWWWWW (some number of red stones, followed by some number of white stones, and one of these could possibly be zero).
  • If we want to change a red stone's color and a white stone's color, this takes 1 step as we can swap them.

Now, we can simply try all values of the final number of red stones from $$$0$$$ to $$$N$$$ (let's call this number $$$R$$$). For a given value of $$$R$$$, the cost is given as

$$$X = (\text{number of white stones in the first $$$R$$$})$$$
$$$Y = (\text{number of red stones in the last $$$N-R$$$})$$$
$$$C_R = X + Y - \min(X,Y)$$$

If we compute prefix sums to help us compute this, we can test one value in $$$O(1)$$$, so testing them all will run in time.

Bonus: this function is convex, so we can minimize it using ternary search.

Runtime: $$$\mathcal{O}(N)$$$.

Sample code

E: Logs

It's hard to figure out which logs to cut greedily, but given a value $$$L$$$ for the final answer, we can easily check whether it's attainable in $$$O(N)$$$.

In order to do this, we loop through all the logs and cut off pieces of exactly length $$$L$$$ from them, until they are length $$$L$$$ or shorter. So for a log of length $$$x$$$, this takes $$$\lfloor(x-1)/L \rfloor$$$ steps.

It's also easy to see intuitively that the cost is non-increasing as $$$L$$$ increases, so we can binary search to find the smallest length $$$L$$$ so that the numbers of steps is $$$\le k$$$.

Runtime: $$$\mathcal{O}(N \log L)$$$, where $$$L$$$ is the maximum possible length of a log.

Sample code

F: Range Set Query

This is a standard algorithm, which I didn't figure out myself but learned some time ago by web search, from the following link: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/queries-number-distinct-elements-subarray/

To implement it efficiently without bugs, I copy/pasted from my submission for a previous Codeforces problem (85732941).

Runtime: $$$\mathcal{O}((N + Q) \log N)$$$.

Time to write: $$$O(1)$$$.

Sample code

You can see my submissions here as well, if you prefer that to reading the code in the blog.

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have any questions or feedback for me.

Tags editorial, atcoder, abc, abc174, english

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en3 English AnandOza 2020-08-02 17:24:46 518
en2 English AnandOza 2020-08-02 16:57:47 2438
en1 English AnandOza 2020-08-02 16:47:06 3795 Initial revision (published)