Essentials of Elementary Number Theory
Difference between en1 and en2, changed 839 character(s)
This is a blog starting from the very basics of number theory, in a way that flows fluidly from one concept to another and is based in developing an intuitive feeling for the basics of elementary number theory. This is not a blog to simply gloss over. I consider more of a guided exploration into the world of discovering things in the world of number theory, and I don't expect anyone to immediately understand all the insights in this blog. But if you put an honest effort into discovering how I find these insights you will find much use for my blog.↵

If you do not know some notation or some elementary theorem I use you should refer to this.↵

<spoiler summary="Elementary definitions">↵
We start with the basic definition that is at the heart of number theory. Let $a \mid b$ (read a divide(s) b) for some $a,b \in \mathbb{Z}$ for some if there exists $k \in \mathbb{Z}$ such that $b = ak$.↵
Similarly $a \not\mid b$ if there does not exist such $k$.↵

If $g \mid a$, then $g \mid ab$.↵

If $gx \mid ax$ then $g \mid a$.↵

If $g \mid a$ and $g \mid b$ then for every $(x,y)$ $g \mid ax + by$.↵

Furthermore, you should assume all variables defined in this blog from here on are integers unless mentioned otherwise.↵

For all numbers $k,n$, there exists unique $q,r$ such that $n = kq + r$ where $0 \le r < k$. This is the elementary theorem of division.↵

$a \mod k$ creates an equivalence relation, where $a \equiv b \mod k$ if for some $(q_1,q_2,r)$,  $a = q_1k + r$ and $b = q_2k + r$. Notice that this is equivalent to $k \mid (a - b)$ ↵
</spoiler>↵

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------↵

<spoiler summary="Greatest common divisor, Additive structure of residues mod n, and Bezout's Theorem">↵
This function is at the heart of most elementary number theory. $\gcd(x,y)$ is defined as the largest $g$ such that $g \mid x$ and $g \mid y$.↵

What does this function tell you? ↵

If $\gcd(x,y) = 1$, then in a sense you can tell that $y$ does not help a number divide something by $x$ because in a sense there is no part of $g$ of $x$ it can help divide. This is why its also referred to as $x$ is coprime or relatively prime to $y$. Try formalizing this definition to see if you've understood it.↵

<spoiler summary="Formal definition">↵
Let $a \mid bc$ and $\gcd(a,c) = 1$. Then $a \mid b$.↵

You can also generalise this theorem as↵

Let $a \mid bc$ and $\gcd(a,c) = g$. Then $a/g \mid b$.↵
</spoiler>↵

Let us now look at the additive structure of some number mod $n$. Let $1 \le a \le n$ such that $\gcd(a,n) = 1$. Let us analyse the function $f(x) = ax \mod n$ for $1 \le x \le n$. We know that for all $(1 \le x < n)$ $n \not\mid ax$ from the previous theorem. ↵

Therefore we will reach $0$ only when $x = n$. Moreover $ax_1 \not\equiv ax_2 \mod n$ for $x_1 \not= x_2$ because $n \not\mid a(x_1 - x_2)$ since $n \not\mid x_1 - x_2$ and $\gcd(a,n) = 1$.↵

So all values in $f(x)$ for $1 \le x \le n$ are distinct and therefore must cover every single remainder(residue) mod n.↵

Let us now consider $a$ where the $\gcd$ isn't $1$. Let $\gcd(a,n) = g$. Let $a_0 = a/g, n_0 = n/g$. Then $\gcd(a_0, n_0) = 1$. We want to analyse the function $f(x) = ax \mod n$. However this is very closely related to the coprime case as $f(x) = g \times (a_0x \mod n_0)$. Can you see why this is?↵

In essence, the inner function is the same repeating pattern over all residues mod $n_0$, where as the outer part just tells us that its looping these residues over the multiples of $g \mod n$. In a sense having multiples of a number that is not coprime to $n$ is akin to partially multiplying by $0$. Once the $g \mid n$ is multiplied in the residue it is going to stay. You cannot undo it.↵

What does this insight on addition help us prove? ↵

One of the most insightful benefits we get from this is that for some $a,b$ where $\gcd(a,b) = 1$, there exists $x,y$ such that $ax + by = 1$. This cannot be solved by normal algebra. Let us think of what existence of $x,y$ really tell us. Essentially there exists $x$ such that the difference $ax - 1$ is a multiple of $b$, as $y$ is in our control. This just means $ax \equiv 1 \mod b$. This must exist as $a$ is coprime to $b$ and we proved that $ax \mod b$ is a function that essentially loops around all residues mod $b$ in a different order. This is known as Bezout's Theorem.↵

Let us now talk about the computation of $\gcd$ and valid values of $x,y$.↵

Let us show $\gcd(a,b) = \gcd(a, b - ka)$ for all $k$. ↵

Let us look at some $g \mid a, g \mid b$. Then $g \mid b - ka$. ↵

Let us look at some $g \mid a, g \not\mid b$. Then $g \not\mid b - ka$, as $a$ is multiple of $g$. So subtracting $a$ is irrelevant.↵

I think the implementation is beyond the scope of this blog, however using the above fact one can come up with an $O(\log{n})$ algorithm.↵
</spoiler>↵

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------↵

<spoiler summary="Multiplicative structure of residues mod n and Fermat's little theorem">↵
Earlier we proved that for each $a,b$ where $\gcd(a,b) = 1$ there exists $x$ such that $ax \equiv 1 \mod b$. $x$ is known as the multiplicative inverse of $a \mod b$ and is written as $a^{-1}$.↵

Instead of looking at the repeated additions of $a \mod n$, let us look at repeated multiplication. Let $f(x) = a^x \mod n$. Let us again start with the coprime case. We know that if $a$ is coprime to $n$ then $a^x$ is also coprime to $n$. This can be proved with a previous theorem. Then really $a^x$ can only visit elements that are coprime to $n$. ↵

This set of elements is called a "Reduced residue system(RRS)". The number of elements in the RRS is defined by a function $\phi(n)$. This is just the count of $1 \le x \le n$ such that $\gcd(x,n) = 1$. ↵

Let us make a directed graph with $V = RRS$ and $E = (a,ax)\ \forall\  a \in V$. Let us now analyse this graph. As we have proved $x$ has a multiplicative inverse already, each element has exactly one incoming edge and one outgoing edge. This forms a set of cycles in $V$. Let $C$ be the size of a cycle. Then $a^C \equiv 1 \mod n$, therefore all cycles are of size $C$. If there are $k$ cycles, then $Ck = |V| = \phi(n)$. Therefore $a^{\phi(n)} \equiv a^{kC} \equiv 1 \mod n$. This is known as Fermat's little Theorem.↵
</spoiler>↵

<spoiler summary="Chinese remainder theorem and linear equations modulo n">↵
Let us assume we have some linear equation we want to solve such as $ax \equiv c \mod n$. This is generally simple, first we need to split $a = ga_0$ where $g = \gcd(a, n)$. We proved earlier that this equation is equivalent to $a_0x \equiv c/g \mod n/g$. We also proved that a number $a$ with a $\gcd$ of $g$ only visits residues that are also multiples of $g$. Therefore if $g \not\mid c$ there exists no solution. We also know that $\gcd(a/g, n/g) = 1$, therefore $a_0$ has a inverse. We can now find $x \equiv a_0^{-1}c/g \mod n/g$. Therefore if a solution exists, there are $g$ solutions $\mod n$, and $0$ otherwise. ↵

Let us now talk about merging two linear equations. We know $x \equiv a \mod n_1$ and $x \equiv a \mod n_2$. Where $n_1, n_2$ are coprime. We will show that this is equivalent to $x \equiv a \mod n_1n_2$. It is clear that if $n_1n_2 \mid (x - a)$ then $n_1 \mid (x - a)$. Therefore we prove the latter implies the former. Let us assume $x \not= a \mod n_1n_2$. This will lead to a contradiction. Since $a \equiv x \mod n_1$ and $a \equiv x \mod n_2$. $(a - x)$ is a common multiple of $n_1$ and $n_2$. Let us now define $lcm(n_1,n_2)$ to be the smallest $l$ such that $n_1 \mid l$ and $n_2 \mid l$. ↵

Let us show that all common multiples of $l_1, l_2$ are multiples of $l$. Let us assume there was some $l_1,l_2$, both $l_1,l_2$ are common multiples of $n_1,n_2$. Moreover $l_1$ is the least common multiple and $l_2$ is not a multiple of $l_1$. ↵

Then by the division algorithm we deduce there exists $l_2 = kl_1 + r$ where $0 < r < l_1$. Since $l_1,l_2$ are common multiples of $n_1,n_2$, so is $r$. However $r$ is non zero. Therefore $l_1$ cannot be the smallest common multiple.↵

Therefore $lcm(n_1,n_2) = \frac{n_1n_2}{g}$ for some $g$. We know that $k_1n_1 = \frac{n_1n_2}{g}$ and $k_2n_2 = \frac{n_1n_2}{g}$. Therefore $g \mid n_1$ and $g \mid n_2$. However they are coprime. Therefore only such $g$ is $1$. and $lcm(n_1,n_2) = n_1n_2$. Using this you could furthermore prove that $lcm(x,y) = \frac{xy}{\gcd(x,y)}$↵

Using this we have proved $lcm(n_1,n_2) = n_1n_2 \mid (a - x)$. This implies $a \equiv x \mod n_1n_2$ which is a contradiction. Therefore it is sufficient and necessary and therefore equivalent condition. ↵

However we may not always have equal $a$. But, we can make them equal. ↵

Let $x \equiv a_1 \mod n_1$ and $x \equiv a_2 \mod n_2$. We need to find $k_1,k_2$ such that $k_1n_1 + a_1 = k_2n_2 + a_2$. This is equivalent to $k_1n_1 - k_2n_2 = (a_2 - a_1)$. We can find such $k_1,k_2$ using Bezout's theorem. but just multiplying the coefficients by $a_2 - a_1$.↵
</spoiler>↵

<spoiler summary="Fundamental Theorem of arithmetic">↵
Let us now define a prime number. A prime number $p$ is such that there is no $2 \le x < p$ such that $x | p$. Therefore we always split non prime numbers into smaller numbers. ↵

Therefore we can know that there exists some set of numbers $e_1, e_2, \ldots$ such that $n = \prod p_i^{e_i}$, where $\prod$ is the product symbol and $p_i$ is the $i$ th largest prime.↵

If all $e_i$ are integers, then $n$ is rational. If all $e_i \ge 0$ then $n$ is an integer. Therefore we can now define divisibility differently. ↵

Let $a = \prod p_i^{a_i}$ and $b = \prod p_i^{b_i}$. Then $a \mid b$ is equivalent to $a_i \le b_i$ for all $i$. Using this definition it is obvious to see $\gcd(a,b) = \prod p_i^{\min(a_i, b_i)}$ and $lcm(x,y) = \prod p_i^{\max(a_i, b_i)}$. Now you can easily see why their product is $ab$.↵

There are few more properties of prime that are important however their proof is beyond the scope of this blog.↵
Let $\pi(n)$ be the prime counting function, which tells you the number of primes less than $n$. Then↵

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\pi(n)}{\frac{n}{\log{n}}} = 1$$↵

Let $\pi_{x,m}(n)$ tell us the number of primes that are less than $n$ and are $x \mod m$ for some $x$ such that $\gcd(x,m) = 1$ then↵

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{\pi_{x,m}(n)}{\phi(m)\frac{n}{\log{n}}} = 1$$↵

Essentially the primes are equally distributed among every element in the RRS of some $n$.↵
</spoiler>↵

<spoiler summary="Extended Chinese remainder theorem">↵
Let us now try to solve CRT for the case where $n_1, n_2$ are not coprime. This is slightly harder and may not always admit a solution.↵

One strategy would be to break $n_1$ and $n_2$ into their individual prime factors, and then merge those while looking for contradicting information. However this requires us to factor a number which is slow. Let us try to solve a faster merge.↵

Let us show that the solution to $x \equiv a \mod n_1$ and $x \equiv a \mod n_2$ is $x \equiv a \mod lcm(n_1, n_2)$. Clearly $x \equiv a \mod lcm(n_1, n_2)$ implies the other 2. Let's solve it in the other direction now. If $x \not\equiv a mod lcm(n_1, n_2)$. Since $x \equiv a \mod n_1$ and $x \equiv a \mod n_2$ then $n_1 \mid (x - a)$ and $n_2 \mid (x - a)$ and therefore $lcm(n_1, n_2) \mid (x - a)$. Therefore $x \equiv a \mod lcm(n_1, n_2)$ which is a contradiction. This proves necessity and sufficiency similarly. ↵

Now let us check if we can have equal $a$. Let $x \equiv a_1 \mod n_1$ and $x \equiv a_2 \mod n_2$. Then we need $k_1n_1 + a_1 = k_2n_2 + a_2$ which means $k_1n_1 + k_2n_2 = a_2 - a_1$. This equation can be solved by Bezout's Theorem if $\gcd(n_1, n_2) \mid a_2 - a_1$. Essentially modulo the common factor $g$ they must be equal.↵
</spoiler>↵

<spoiler summary="Multiplicative functions and Mobius inversion">↵
A multiplicative function $f$ is one that satisfies $f(mn) = f(m)f(n)$ for coprime $m,n$. Examples of these function are $\phi(n)$ the number of coprime residues mod $n$, $\sigma(n)$, the sum of divisors of $n$, $\tau(n)$ the number of divisors mod $n$. To get the value of a multiplicative function, we only need to know the values at $p^k$ for some $p$ and $k$, and take the product over all prime factors of $n$. Let us now define something more interesting. Let the convolution of two functions be $(f * g)(n) = \sum_{d \mid n} f(d)g(n/d)$. If $f$ and $g$ are multiplicative then $(f * g)$ is multiplicative.↵
Let us also notice that $(f * g * h)$ is commutative and associative and ↵
$(f * g * h) = \sum_{d_1d_2d_3 = n} f(d_1)g(d_2)h(d_3)$.↵

We can use this to solve $f(n) = \sum_{d \mid n} \phi(d)$. ↵

$f(p^k) = 1 + (p - 1) + p(p-1) \ldots p^{k-1}(p - 1) = p^k$. Therefore $f(n) = n$. ↵

This convolution is the basis of mobius inversion. Let $f(n) = \sum_{d \mid n} g(n)$. This is essentially $f = (g * 1)$ where $1(n) = 1$. Let's say we want to write $g$ as a sum of $f$. We need some inverse of $1(n)$ that gives us a unit element. Let us think about what the unit element of the convolution is. ↵

Let the unit be $\delta$. Then $\delta(1) = 1$ and $\delta(n) = 0$ otherwise so the only non zero term in $(f * \delta)(n)$ is $f(n)$. We will need the inverse of $1(n)$ next.↵

Let the inverse be $\mu$. Since we just need to look at prime powers we need $(1 * \mu)(1) = 1$ and $(1 * \mu)(p^k) = 0$. It is clear that $\mu(1) = 1$ and $\mu(p) = -1$, so that the sum adds up to $0$ for $\mu(p)$. Furthermore all higher powers should be $0$ so it remains $0$. Therefore we get $\mu(1) = 1$, $\mu(p) = -1$ and $\mu(p^k) = 0$. ↵

If we use this to solve for all $n$, $\mu(n)$ is $0$ if some $p^2 \mid n$, $-1$ if an odd number of primes divide $n$, and $+1$ if an even number of primes divide it. Now if we multiply both sides by $\mu$, we get $(f * \mu) = g$. This allows to use $f$ to solve for $g$. ↵
</spoiler>↵

<spoiler summary="Primitive roots and modular logarithm">↵
Let us now go back to the multiplicative properties of residues $\mod n$. Each element had a cycle length that was equal to the smallest $k$ such that $a^k \equiv 1 \mod m$. This is concisely written as $k = ord_m(a)$. If we had a number $g$ such that $ord_m(g) = n$, $g^x$ would iterate over all residues in RRS of $n$. Can we find such a number? ↵

The answer is as for all things, sometimes. Let us prove that it exists for some prime $p$.↵
Let us first notice that $ord_m(a) = C_a \mid \phi(p^k)$. Let us look at $x^{d} - 1 \equiv 0$. where $d | \phi(p)$ This is true for all elements with $ord_m(a) | d$ and such an equation has at most $d$ roots with prime modulus. Lets show that even if all equations have $d$ roots we will have elements whose order is $\phi(p)$. Let $f(d)$ be number of elements with an order of exactly $d$. Then $d = \sum_{k | d} f(d)$. However we've proven that this requires $f(d)$ for all divisors of $\phi(p)$ to equal $\phi(d)$. Therefore the number of elements with order $\phi(p)$ is $\phi(\phi(p))$.↵

Using this we can convert equations of the form $x^t = g^s \mod p$ to $t\log_{g}(x) \equiv s \mod \phi(p)$.↵

Unfortunately there cannot exist $g$ for some element with $2$ odd prime factors as $g$ will have order $\phi(p)$ and $\phi(q)$ in the split modulus on $p$ and $q$. This means that their periods will collide as they're both even.↵
</spoiler>↵

<spoiler summary="Probabilistic primality test">↵
Let $p$ be a prime. One of the basic properties of a prime is that $a^{p-1}$ is $1$. If that is violated it is clearly not prime. Otherwise it is considered base $a$ pseudoprime. However it is possible that some composite numbers also satisfy this property. These are known as carmichael numbers. For a number to carmichael it must be square free and for each prime $p \mid n$, $p - 1 \mid n - 1$, so that $n - 1$ is a multiple of each prime cycle, so at $n - 1$ all primes in $n$ give us $1$.↵

The other thing is as long as you divide $p - 1$ by $2$, it should become $-1$ or remain $1$ if it was $1$ before. Only root of $x^2 - 1 \equiv (x - 1)(x + 1) \equiv 0 \mod p$ is $x \equiv 1,-1 \mod p$. If a number passes this test as well its considered a base $a$ strong pseudoprime. Using this there are no composite numbers that pass all base $a$ strong pseudoprime test and is much safer to use.↵
</spoiler>↵

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en4 English Everule 2021-12-06 19:10:45 19
en3 English Everule 2021-12-06 18:49:58 1584
en2 English Everule 2021-12-06 13:22:21 839 Tiny change: 'ler>\n\n\n<spo' -> 'ler>\n\n\n\n\n<spo'
en1 English Everule 2021-12-06 13:02:50 16268 Initial revision (published)