FFT and NTT

Revision en1, by Enchom, 2015-08-19 18:18:27

Hello everybody,

It often happens that I have to multiply polynomials quickly and of course FFT is the fastest way to do so. However, I've heard that FFT can have precision errors. I'm not very familiar with the mathematical theory behind it, so I was wondering how can I know whether precision errors will occur and what to do to avoid them. I've also heard about NTT (Number Theoretic Transform) which is similar to FFT but it works with integers only (using modular arithmetics?) but I don't know much about it.

So my questions are :

1) How can I know whether regular FFT using complex numbers would give precise errors, what does it depend on?

2) Is there somewhere I can read about NTT and how it works. I don't have strong mathematical background so something more competitive-programming oriented would be perfect. Additionally, is NTT always precise?

3) Could someone provide quick and simple implementations of FFT/Karatsuba/NTT of simple polynomial multiplication? I've written FFT and Karatsuba before, but my implementations were so bad that they were often outperformed by well-written quadratic solutions.

I do know that these questions were probably asked before so I apologize beforehand. I tried to google but most things I found were math-oriented.

Thanks in advance :)

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English Enchom 2015-08-19 18:18:27 1375 Initial revision (published)