Rating changes for last rounds are temporarily rolled back. They will be returned soon. ×

Strange Situation about IOI eligibility
Difference between en6 and en7, changed 0 character(s)
Hello,↵

I have dual citizenship (Taiwan and USA), and I currently study in an American high school located in Taiwan. I've already participated in the regional contest about 7 weeks ago and did pretty well, so I qualified for the national contest.↵

So now I'm practicing as much as I can for the national contest, but recently I was told that I could qualify for the training camp but not the national team for Taiwan.↵

I searched online for IOI rules and found this link on the IOI-2017 site: http://www.ioinformatics.org/rules/reg17.pdf. Here are some parts of it that stood out:↵

"A Contestant is a student who was enrolled in a school at a level not higher than secondary education, in the Country they are representing, for the majority of the period 1 September to 31 December in the year before IOI’n. Students who are studying abroad may represent the Country of their nationality."↵

Not am I only studying in Taiwan, I also have Taiwan citizenship, so I definitely fit this criterion.↵

"The main objectives to be accomplished by the IOI are: ↵

- To discover, encourage, bring together, challenge, and give recognition to young people who are exceptionally talented in the field of informatics;↵

- To foster friendly international relationships among computer scientists and informatics educators;↵

- To bring the discipline of informatics to the attention of young people;↵

- To promote the organisation of informatics competitions for students at schools for secondary education;↵

- To encourage countries to organise a future IOI in their country."↵

Later, I asked for clarification about why I was ineligible, which doesn't support the objectives shown above:↵

"The national teams are supposed to show that Taiwanese education is superior to other education systems. If a student from a foreign school represents Taiwan in an international olympiad, then it defeats the purpose. Thus, you are ineligible to represent Taiwan in international olympiads."↵

1. Other countries, like USA, don't care about things like the statement above.↵
2. The statement above only applies if the contestants perform well. Else, they should invite someone "with a different education system" (I don't know why it matters) to take the blame for not performing well.↵
3. Which person at IOI would notice which school I came from?↵
4. Which person at IOI who even noticed which school I came from would bother to know that my school provides American education?↵
5. Which person at IOI who even noticed which school I came from and that my school provides American education would change their views about Taiwan?↵
6. Why can't they credit my results (IF they are even good) to the training that I received in the training camp in Taiwan?↵
7. Of course "Taiwanese education" and "American education" prepares all students for international olympiads (for example for informatics, by teaching topics like Dynamic Programming Optimizations or Heavy-Light Decomposition in school), and it's not the contestants' own hard work. Thus, the results for each country accurately reflects how successful the education system in that country is.↵

I don't really have that much experience or knowledge in everything mentioned above. Maybe IOI set a "loose bound" for the eligible contestants, and each country can set its own "tighter bound", so I came here to ask, what are your thoughts?↵

Hopefully, this can be a precedent that will be explained for all countries and contestants in the future.

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en8 English tmwilliamlin168 2017-12-18 12:00:08 10 Tiny change: '."\n\nNot am I only studying ' -> '."\n\nNot only am I studying '
en7 English tmwilliamlin168 2017-12-18 10:03:31 0 (published)
en6 English tmwilliamlin168 2017-12-18 09:56:41 22
en5 English tmwilliamlin168 2017-12-18 09:54:00 110
en4 English tmwilliamlin168 2017-12-18 09:48:53 10 Tiny change: 'I have dua' -> 'Hello,\n\nI have dua'
en3 English tmwilliamlin168 2017-12-18 09:32:24 13
en2 English tmwilliamlin168 2017-12-18 09:31:36 10
en1 English tmwilliamlin168 2017-12-18 09:27:53 3409 Initial revision (saved to drafts)