Please increase div2 upper rating limit

Revision en4, by VLamarca, 2018-04-30 01:26:01

Hi!

I believe that the div2 upper limit (the same as div1 lower limit) should be increased so that div2 contests are rated for codeforces' users with purple rating (or something like 2100 rating).

EDIT: The main objective of my post is to make Div. 2 only rounds rated for purle users also. This is beneficial becuase this would distinguish their rating better, it would also mean a more frequent participation for those people and because most Div. 2 rounds are hard enough for them. The distribution of participants in div. 2 and div. 1 (when there is a correponding Div. 1 contest) could remain the same.

I say that because I believe that div2 contests are hard enough for people with purple rating. (I assume their difficulty should be sufficient to not transform the contest in a "type race", which means that it is good that few people solve all the problems. I will try to convince you that we can make div2 contests rated for people with higher rating without breaking this principle).

In my own experience I reached Div1 3 times and in all of them I did not solve 2 problems from the div2 contest.

Some data to back my suggestion:

In Codeforces Round #476 (Div. 2 only) [Thanks, Telegram!] only 1 person solved all the problems officially, and I would say that more than 95% of all the unofficial purple contestants solved at most 4 out of the 5 problems.

In Codeforces Round #477 (rated, Div. 1, based on VK Cup 2018 Round 3), let's assume that the contestants who solved 4 problems would have a chance of solving all problems in the corresponding div. 2 round. Less than 50 (including red and yellow rated people) out of more than 450 div1 contestants solved at least 4 problems.

In Educational Codeforces Round 42 (Rated for Div. 2) only one red rated person solved all the problems and the vast majority of purple rated unofficial contestants could not solve 2 of the contests' problems. Also 3 legendary grand masters contestants could not solve all the problems.

With that being said I suggest that the div2 upper limit should be 2200. Other possibility could be holding div 1.5 contests, but I believe that easy contest are the exception. If anything there should be a Div. 3 for those exceptions.

I am open to discussing ideias in this regard.

Thanks for reading :)

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en5 English VLamarca 2018-05-02 08:39:16 1466 Tiny change: ' problems.\n\nWith t' -> ' problems. In fact I believe that educationa\n\nWith t'
en4 English VLamarca 2018-04-30 01:26:01 418
en3 English VLamarca 2018-04-29 21:21:59 2 Tiny change: 'ems. Also 2 legendary' -> 'ems. Also 3 legendary'
en2 English VLamarca 2018-04-29 21:14:52 7
en1 English VLamarca 2018-04-29 21:07:35 2134 Initial revision (published)