The Decline of College Contests From India

Revision en1, by fictional-octo-barnacle, 2020-03-03 16:26:44

Not many colleges from India conduct contests on Codeforces. From my knowledge, I can only think of IIIT Hyderabad and IIT BHU (If I'm missing any college then pardon me). Another thing which concerns me that why colleges like IIT Roorkee, IIT Indore and IIT Delhi do not host their contests on Codeforces, but that is not what this blog is about.

I think I'm not the only one who feels that these colleges (who conduct contests on Codeforces) are downgrading their contests and I don't understand why is this happening!!!

ICM Technex 2017, 2018 of IIT BHU was Div 1+2, but in 2019, it was conducted on Codechef and became unrated for some reason. This year too, the contest was conducted on Codechef (Though it went smoothly this time).

Also Codecraft-17,-18 of IIIT Hyderabad were Div 1+2 combined but in 2019 it was Div2 and again this year it is a Div2 contest. When asked about it, one of the members from Codecraft-20 replied (shaanknight): "Honestly, we intended to make a Div 1 + Div 2 round when we started, but we just had 2 problem ideas for the Div1 exclusive problems , which didn't seem to be interesting enough , hence we left the plan of combined round and rather focused on arranging a good Div-2 only round . We hope people find the current set of problems interesting."

India has a lot of participation on Codeforces platform according to a blog by MikeMirzyanov. All the colleges I mentioned have a lot of good competitive programmers and yet, the quality and quantity of college contests are not up to the mark.

I am also a college student and though I have never done problem-setting on Codeforces, I'm quite enthusiastic about it. So, can people from the problem-setting teams of such colleges explain what sort of issues they face? Also, can people who have hosted contests on Codeforces address the issues faced by those problem setters and share their experience?. I am specially mentioning Bhj2001 and shaanknight (so that this blog reaches to you) and request you to share the problems you faced while hosting a college contest. Also, it is a great opportunity for people from other colleges to learn from their experiences.

I also wanted to know if there are people like me who are interested to host a contest on Codeforces and don't have a team of their own so that we can host a contest together on Codeforces.

Tags icm technex, codecraft, problem setting, india

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English fictional-octo-barnacle 2020-03-03 16:26:44 2822 Initial revision (published)