Rating changes for last rounds are temporarily rolled back. They will be returned soon. ×

Proving transitivity of comparator functions

Revision en4, by Everule, 2020-05-16 12:43:58

I'm trying to solve atcoder ABC167F. https://atcoder.jp/contests/abc167/tasks/abc167_f .

I started by questioning what conditions decide whether a concatenation is valid. We start by defining sum of a bracketed sequence, which is count('(')-count(')'). I then found the sum of every string, and the smallest sum of a prefix of the string. They are denoted by $$$sum$$$ and $$$mnprefix$$$ in my code. If my current string is valid which is equivalent to $$$mnprefix\ge 0$$$ and has a sum of $$$x$$$, then a concatenation is valid if and only if $$$x+mnprefix\ge 0$$$ and our new sequnce has a sum of $$$x+sum$$$. Let's say we have two strings $$$a$$$ and $$$b$$$. Let $$$a.sum$$$ denote the sum of $$$a$$$ and the rest of the notation is deductible.

Let's say $$$a$$$ comes before $$$b$$$. Then the two conditions that need to be valid are $$$x\ge a.mnprefix$$$ and $$$x\ge b.mnprefix-a.sum$$$. So we want $$$\max(a.mnprefix, b.mnprefix-a.sum)\le \max(b.mnprefix, a.mnprefix - b.sum)$$$ for $$$a$$$ to be chosen before $$$b$$$. However my proof has one flaw, which is that it doesn't account for transitivity. I don't know how to prove another string $$$c$$$ will not affect my result, and how do I know my comparator function is transitive, as each string doesn't have an exact value, and the comparator values are differing according to the string being compared to.

If my solution is correct, can someone tell me if I have made an error in my implementation.

My code

Edit : nvm, I was using abs(mnprefix) in my calculation but not in my code.

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en4 English Everule 2020-05-16 12:43:58 83
en3 English Everule 2020-05-15 23:24:49 0 (published)
en2 English Everule 2020-05-15 23:24:28 32 (saved to drafts)
en1 English Everule 2020-05-15 23:20:37 2764 Initial revision (published)