Problem Solving Guide to Modular Combinatorics and Exponentiation
Difference between en5 and en6, changed 46 character(s)
Sometimes, you are asked to calculate the combination or permutation modulo a number, for example $^nC_k \mod p$. Here I want to write about a complete method to solve such problems with a good time complexity because it took me a lot of googling and asking to finally have the complete approach. I hope this blog can help other users and save their time when they solve combinatorics problem in Codeforces.↵

#### Example Problem↵
Find the value of $^nC_k$, ($1 \leq n,k \leq 10^6$). As this number can be rather large, print the answer modulo $p$. ($p = 1000000007 = 10^9 + 7$)↵

#### Combination (binomial coefficients)↵
$^nC_k$ means how many ways you can choose $k$ items from an array of $n$ items, also denoted as $\binom{n}{k}$. This is also known as binomial coefficients. The formula for combination is↵

$$↵
^nC_k = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}↵
$$↵

Sometimes, the denominator $k!(n-k)!$ is very large, but we can't modulo it since modulo operations can't be done independently on the denominator. $\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} \mod p \neq \frac{n! \mod p}{k!(n-k)! \mod p}$. Now I will introduce the modular multiplicative inverse to solve this problem.↵

#### Modular multiplicative inverse↵
The modular multiplicative inverse $x$ of $a$ modulo $p$ is defined as↵

$$↵
a \cdot  x \equiv 1 \pmod p↵
$$↵

Here, I will replace $x$ with $\text{inv}(a)$, so we have↵

$$↵
a \cdot  \text{inv}(a) \equiv 1 \pmod p↵
$$↵

Getting back to the formula for combination, we can rearrange so that↵

$$↵
^nC_k = n! \cdot \frac{1}{k!} \cdot \frac{1}{(n-k)!} ↵
$$↵

Here, we can use $\text{inv}(a)$ as follows↵

$$↵
^nC_k \equiv n! \cdot \text{inv}(k!) \cdot \text{inv}((n-k)!) \pmod p↵
$$↵

Now we can distribute the modulo to each of the terms by the distributive properties of modulo↵

$$↵
^nC_k \mod p = n! \mod p \cdot \text{inv}(k!) \mod p \cdot \text{inv}((n-k)!) \mod p↵
$$↵

Now I will discuss on how to calculate $\text{inv}(a)$↵

#### Fermat's Little Theorem↵
You can easily remember this theorem. Let $a$ be an integer and $p$ be a prime number,↵

$$↵
a^p \equiv a \pmod p↵
$$↵

It is helpful to know that the $p$ in the problem ($10^9 + 7$) is indeed a prime number! We can divide both sides with $a$ to get↵

$$↵
a^{p-1} \equiv 1 \pmod p↵
$$↵

Looking back at our equation for $\text{inv}(a)$, both equations equate to 1, so we can equate them as↵

$$↵
a \cdot  \text{inv}(a) \equiv a^{p-1} \pmod p↵
$$↵

Dividing each side by $a$ we have↵

$$↵
\text{inv}(a) \equiv a^{p-2} \pmod p↵
$$↵

We now have a directly formula for $\text{inv}(a)$. However, we cannot use the `pow()` function to calculate $a^{p-2}$ because $a$ and $p$ is a large number (Remember $1 \leq n,k \leq 10^6$) ($p = 10^9 + 7$). Fortunately, we can solve this using modular exponentiation.↵

#### Modular Exponentiation↵

To prevent integer overflow, we can carry out modulo operations **during** the evaluation of our new power function. But instead of using a while loop to calculate $a^{p-2}$ in $O(p)$, we can use a special trick called squaring the powers. Note that if $b$ is an even number↵

$$↵
a^b = (a^2)^{b/2}↵
$$↵
Every time we calculate $a^2$, we reduce the exponent by a factor of 2. We can do this repeatedly until the exponent becomes zero where we stop the loop. This will give us a time complexity of $O(\log p)$ to calculate $a^{p-2}$ because we halve the exponent in each step. For the case when $b$ is odd, we can use the property↵

$$↵
a^b = a^{b-1} \cdot a↵
$$↵

We then store the trailing $a$ into a variable. Then $b-1$ is even and we can proceed as previously stated. We can repeatedly apply these two equations to calculate $a^{p-2}$. Here I will show you the implementation of this modified `powmod()` function to include modulo operations. `ll` is defined as `long long`↵

~~~~~↵
ll powmod(ll a, ll b, ll p){↵
    a %= p;↵
    if (a == 0) return 0;↵
    ll product = 1;↵
    while(b > 0){↵
        if (b&1){    // you can also use b % 2 == 1↵
            product *= a;↵
            product %= p;↵
            --b;↵
        }↵
        a *= a;↵
        a %= p;↵
        b /= 2;    // you can also use b >> 1↵
    }↵
    return product;↵
}↵
~~~~~↵

Then we can finally implement the $\text{inv}(a)$ function simply as↵

~~~~~↵
ll inv(ll a, ll p){↵
    return powmod(a, p-2, p);↵
}↵
~~~~~↵

Then, finally, we can implement $^nC_k$ as↵

~~~~~↵
ll nCk(ll n, ll k, ll p){↵
    return ((fact[n] * inv(fact[k], p) % p) * inv(fact[n-k], p)) % p;↵
}↵
~~~~~↵

We used the dp-approach for factorial where the factorial from 1 to n is pre-computed and stored in an array 
`fact[]`.↵

#### Time complexity↵

- Pre-computation of factorial: $O(n)$↵
- Calculation of $^nC_k$, which is dominated by modular exponentiation `powmod`: $O(\log p)$↵
- Total: $O(n + \log p)$↵

#### Reference↵
- [Fermat's Little Theorem — wiki](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat%27s_little_theorem#:~:text=Fermat's%20little%20theorem%20is%20the,it%20from%20Fermat's%20last%20theorem.)↵
- [Modular Multiplicative Inverse — wiki](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_multiplicative_inverse)↵
- [Modular Multiplicative Inverse — cp-algorithm](https://cp-algorithms.com/algebra/module-inverse.html)↵

#### Problems for you↵
- [problem:300C] (Example solution: [submission:83862274])↵
- [problem:717A]↵

Please comment below if you know similar problems.↵

Thank you for reading. I hope this blog will help you in your competitive programming journey.↵

Stay safe and 
wishthank you high rating :)for reading.

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en10 English jeqcho 2020-06-16 10:51:53 33
en9 English jeqcho 2020-06-16 10:45:59 2 Tiny change: 'e a directly formula f' -> 'e a direct formula f'
en8 English jeqcho 2020-06-16 10:37:26 47
en7 English jeqcho 2020-06-16 10:34:25 34
en6 English jeqcho 2020-06-16 10:22:30 46 Tiny change: ' an array fact[].\n\n#### ' -> ' an array `fact[]`.\n\n#### ' (published)
en5 English jeqcho 2020-06-16 10:17:21 100
en4 English jeqcho 2020-06-16 10:08:26 129
en3 English jeqcho 2020-06-15 19:44:38 7
en2 English jeqcho 2020-06-15 19:41:02 3 Tiny change: 'k]) % p;\n~~~~~\n\' -> 'k]) % p;\n}\n~~~~~\n\'
en1 English jeqcho 2020-06-15 19:31:13 5463 Initial revision (saved to drafts)