Why no floating point precision errors?
Difference between en1 and en2, changed 904 character(s)
I solved a problem recently using floating point arithmetic. I suspect the solution should not work for some test case because of floating point precision errors, but cannot find a case where it would fail. Moreover, the solution gets "Accepted" verdict.↵

Link to the submission (Codeforces Round #660 E): [submission:89366718]↵

The submission is an implementation of the Convex Hull Trick approach mentioned in the [editorial](https://codeforces.com/blog/entry/80828) of the problem.↵

If you look through the code, you will find that I have maintained forbidden ranges of cotangents of an angle and then iterate over the critical angles (i.e. extremeties of some range of forbidden angles, which are not forbidden themselves).↵

I suspect that `float(xr[j] - xl[i]) / (y[i] - y[j])` should return unequal values for some mathematically equal fractions (like $5/3$ and $15/9$) because of precision errors.↵

In such case, let's say there are two ranges $\[a, b\]$ and $\[c, d\]$ with $b = c$ (mathematically). In such a case a possible value that is not forbidden is $b$. This obviously will not work if there are precision errors which make the calculated values of $b$ and $c$ such that $b$ is slightly greater $c$. Then, $b$ will become part of a forbidden range.↵

My question is, does the above case not show up in the test cases of the problem or is the floating point arithmetic 
I talked about guaranteed to be exact?in my code guaranteed to be exact because of some reason?↵

Can you suggest a case where the program would break?↵

The following program shows though that the precision errors I mentioned do occur:↵

~~~~~↵
#include <cassert>↵
#include <iomanip>↵
#include <iostream>↵
#include <random>↵
using namespace std;↵

float foo (int n, int d, int c)↵
{↵
    return float(n * c) / (d * c);↵
}↵

int main()↵
{↵
    default_random_engine generator;↵
    uniform_int_distribution<> dist(1, 10000);↵
    while(true)↵
    {↵
        int n = dist(generator), d = dist(generator), c1 = dist(generator), c2 = dist(generator);↵
        float f1 = foo(n, d, c1), f2 = foo(n, d, c2);↵
        cerr << "Testing with n=" << n << ", d=" << d << ", c1=" << c1 << ", c2=" << c2 << '\n';↵
        cerr << fixed << setprecision(10) << "Received f1=" << f1 << " and f2=" << f2 << '\n';↵
        assert(f1 == f2);↵
        cerr << "OK\n";↵
    }↵
}↵
~~~~~

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English ShubhamAvasthi 2020-08-09 03:49:09 904 Tiny change: 'o occur:\n~~~~~\n#' -> 'o occur:\n\n~~~~~\n#'
en1 English ShubhamAvasthi 2020-08-09 03:39:03 1472 Initial revision (published)