Enjoying CP vs struggle to improve

Revision en2, by I_love_Chou_Tzuyu, 2020-08-14 23:30:52

"Enjoy what you do" — this nice little seemingly key to all success in the world, to what limit does it actually resembles reality?? When you are pushing to improve, it's rather a struggle than enjoyment and after that struggle when you finally improved comes the enjoyment that you have finally improved.

My favorite video game is FIFA, and when "semi-pro" difficulty was too easy for me I moved on to "professional" and I actually started losing all my games, lost 5-0 with real madrid against real betis and so on. After losing probably 20-30 matches I got the feel and started to play better. And after playing lots of games, eventually I was so good that I would win every single match in professional. So I moved on to World Class and then I started losing again. And constantly losing is not fun, it's rather irritating. Same thing goes for CP. If I am to do some <1500 problems in CF I will actually enjoy my time and will do it for hours. But that's not gonna improve me much. So I must push to improve and solve >1500 problems and that's when the motivation slowly goes down. After doing for some time it's like "f*** this, I am outta here". Constantly losing is not enjoyable. But I must do it to actually improve there's no other way. After days of deliberate forceful attempt to improve at some point I will be better and this is how this universe works.

Why do you even want to improve in the first place? It's either to qualify for IOI or ICPC or to get a job or pursuing your dream to become a good problem solver, they are all materialistic achievements. When you are satisfied with your level and don't feel the necessity to improve, yeah maybe then you start to enjoy because you don't struggle anymore. But before that "I do CP because I love CP" — isn't it just a hoax and misleading? You actually enjoy after you accomplished your achievement and during the process it was not because of your love/enjoyment rather to achieve the goal. So shouldn't it be "I did CP because I wanted to be better at CP".

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English I_love_Chou_Tzuyu 2020-08-14 23:30:52 8
en1 English I_love_Chou_Tzuyu 2020-08-14 23:30:26 2082 Initial revision (published)