A story of how I solved a problem after 2+ years

Revision en1, by ivan100sic, 2022-01-02 15:18:37

Hi Codeforces, I want to tell you an interesting story.

There was this problem: 1264E - Beautiful League, the contest took place on December 5th, 2019. Now, I know it's not extremely hard, and its rating is "only" 2700, possibly lowered by the fact that it was known to some contestants from some other site. However, for some reason, I just couldn't come up with a solution, and I didn't want to read the editorial. I tried a few greedy approaches, and one of them even got to test case 206: 66478537.

So, this problem remained a mystery. I remember taking walks when I was bored, and sometimes thinking about this problem to try and solve it. But I just couldn't. I tried revisiting it at least 10 times over the past two years. It was one of my favorite problems to think about when I had some time to waste.

So anyway, after New Year celebrations, I went to sleep but I just couldn't fall asleep. Normally when this happens I pick up a problem and think about it until either I solve it or I fall asleep. So I picked up one problem, though it was quite easy (at least for me) and I solved it pretty quickly while lying in bed. It's this problem, if anyone cares: 1608D - Dominoes.

I still couldn't fall asleep, so I decided, why not try that old graph triangles problem? The idea was, there's no way I'll solve it, so I'll fall asleep quite easily. But to my shock, I did come up with just the right idea this time, and after some time I had the complete solution, all while lying in bed. I was very excited and happy about it but of course, I still couldn't fall asleep. So eventually I did fall asleep from sheer tiredness and the next day I implemented them both and got AC on the first try.

The moral of the story:

• I need to read a few more 3000+ problems and remember them, as backup.
  • Revisiting old problems will eventually work if you give it enough time, especially if you keep solving other problems in the meantime.
  • No pain no gain

Thank you for bearing with me

Tags story, problem solving, practice

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English ivan100sic 2022-01-02 15:18:37 2059 Initial revision (published)