How to use unordered_map/set/whatever without hashes/comparators
Difference between en6 and en7, changed 0 character(s)
**Are you tired of creating comparators or hashes for your custom class? I have a solution for you.**↵

Sometimes we need to use STL data structures such as map, unordered_map or set using a data type that doesn't have a hash or a comparator. Instead of coding things properly I will show an easy way to achieve the same thing with minimal effort.↵

The idea is to use pointer casting.↵

Let's say we want to use pair<int,int> with an unordered_map (notice that there's no pre-made hash for this data type).↵

The size of pair<int,int> is 8 bytes. Also notice that we have long long: a data type also 8 bytes long.↵

We can create an unordered_map<long long>, and to check our pair we can just do:↵

```↵
typedef std::pair<int,int> pii;↵
std::unordered_map<long long,int> hashmap;↵
pii object;↵
hashmap[*((long long*)&object)] = 24;↵
```↵

We can recast our data type for another data type of the same size, and it will work just fine!↵
But we don't have endless integers to use. Is there an easier way that is able to store any data structure?↵

Luckily there is!↵

We can use bitsets, and resize them as we wish.↵
Following our previous example:↵

```↵
typedef std::pair<int,int> pii;↵
typedef std::bitset<sizeof(pii)*8> bits;↵
std::unordered_map<bits,int> hashmap;↵
pii object;↵
hashmap[*((bits*)&object)] = 24;↵
```↵

Here we create a bitset exactly the size of our class, making us able to use any standard container with our pair<int,int>.↵

Reason for this blog:↵
I have used this trick for a somewhat long time, but it seems that not many programmers are aware of this method (+ I didn't find anything talking about this technique), so here it is :)↵

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en7 English Deepesson 2023-06-18 19:49:02 0 (published)
en6 English Deepesson 2023-06-18 19:48:51 56
en5 English Deepesson 2023-06-18 19:47:26 24 Tiny change: '**Too bored creating ' -> '**Are you tired of creating '
en4 English Deepesson 2023-06-18 15:34:29 143
en3 English Deepesson 2023-06-18 15:30:55 421 Tiny change: 'example:\n```cpp\ntypedef ' -> 'example:\n\n```\ntypedef '
en2 English Deepesson 2022-07-26 04:22:33 21 Tiny change: 'do:\n\n```cpp\ntyped' -> 'do:\n\n```\ncpp\ntyped'
en1 English Deepesson 2022-07-26 04:19:39 1328 Initial revision (saved to drafts)