[Tutorial] Static Range Queries in O(1) with O(NlogN) Preprocessing
Difference between en3 and en4, changed 122 character(s)
There once was a man named Hugo Ryckeboer, and he came up with a neat way to do static fixed-length RMQ queries in $O(1)$.↵

After playing around with it, I was able to extend it to do range queries of arbitrary associative operations in $O(1)$, with $O(N \log N)$ precomputation. This is the same time complexity achieved by sparse table with idempotent operations, but my data structure reaches this bound for any associative operation.↵

EDIT: this data structure is called "disjoint sparse table"↵

Let's go through some background first.↵

## Prefix sums↵

Take some array A and compute prefix sums in array P.↵

A = [ 1,  3,  6,  5,  2,  7,  1,  4]↵
    P = [ 1,  4, 10, 15, 17, 24, 25, 29]↵

Now we can compute range sum queries in $O(1)$ by substracting a prefix from another.↵

For example, query `[2, 7)` is $25 - 4 = 21$.↵

<spoiler summary="implementation details">↵
In real implementation I add leading zero for convenience:↵

P = [ 0,  1,  4, 10, 15, 17, 24, 25, 29]↵

Then we can compute the sum of `A[i]+...+A[j-1]` in $O(1)$ by `P[j]-P[i]`↵
</spoiler>↵

Very neat, but we need an inverse operation (substracting, in this case).↵

## Postfix-Prefix Sums↵

Instead, take the array A and compute a suffix sums array S for the first half and a prefix sums array P for the second↵

A =   [ 1,  3,  6,  5,  2,  7,  1,  4]↵
    S,P = [15, 14, 11,  5] [2,  9, 10, 14]↵

Now we can compute queries by adding a suffix of the first half and a prefix of the second half.↵

For example, query `[2, 7)` is $11 + 10 = 21$.↵

In a real implementation I would add leading zeros and also reverse the suffix sums:↵

S = [0,  5, 11, 14, 15]↵
    P = [0,  2,  9, 10, 14]↵

Now, if $i \leq \frac{n}{2} \leq j$, we can compute the sum of `A[i]+...+A[j-1]` in $O(1)$ by doing `S[n/2-i] + P[j-n/2]`↵
</spoiler>↵

Very cool, but queries must cross the halfway point of the array.↵

## Hugo Trick↵

Instead, take the array A, cut it up into intervals of length k, and compute the prefix and suffix sums of each one.↵

k = 3↵
    A =  [ 1,  3,  6,  5,  2,  7,  1,  4]↵
    P = [[ 1,  4, 10][ 5,  7, 14][ 1,  5]]↵
    S = [[10,  9,  6][14,  9,  7][ 5,  4]]↵

Now we can answer any query that crosses from one interval to the next by adding a suffix of the first interval with a prefix of the second↵

In particular, notice that we can compute all queries of length k using that idea.↵

For example, we can now answer `[5, 8)`, whereas before we could not, as it doesn't cross the halfway point of the array.↵

Again, in the real implementation I add leading zeros and reverse the suffix sums.↵

P = [[ 0,  1,  4, 10][ 0,  5,  7, 14][ 0,  1,  5]]↵
    S = [[ 0,  6,  9, 10][ 0,  7,  8, 14][ 0,  4,  5]]↵

Now, if $j-i = k$, we can find the right interval by taking `l=floor(j/k)` and `cut=l*k` then the sum `A[i]+...+A[j-1]` can be computed in $O(1)$ by doing `S[l-1][cut-i]+P[l][j-cut]`↵

</spoiler>↵

And that is the entire trick that I was taught years ago. In my country we call it "DP Hugo" or "Hugo Trick".↵

It is very rad, but it is limited to fixed-length queries.↵

## Enhanced Hugo Trick↵

Let's add the capability for some different-length queries. Take the array A, and cut it up into overlapping intervals of length 2k, spaced by k positions. Then, compute prefix and suffix sums for each one.↵

k = 3↵
    A =  [ 1,  3,  6,  5,  2,  7,  1,  4]↵
    P = [[ 1,  4, 10, 15, 17, 24][ 1,  5]]↵
         [ 1,  4, 10][ 5,  7, 14, 15, 19]↵
    S = [[24, 23, 20, 14,  9,  7][ 5,  4]]↵
         [10,  9,  6][19, 14, 12,  5,  4]↵

Now, we can still answer any query that crosses from one interval to another, but that now includes all intervals of length between k and 2k (inclusive).↵

Again, in the real implementation I add leading zeros and reverse the suffix sums.↵

A this point, writing the example is getting too tedious, so I won't do it.↵

Keep in mind that now the intervals `l` and `l-1` are overlapping, so we actually have to use `l` and `l-2`. Also, the calculation of `l` is a bit different, but I put some example code at the end, and I did it in a different way that side-steps this problem quite nicely.↵
</spoiler>↵

It is very cute, but still limited to some specific lengths of queries.↵

## Multilevel Hugo Trick (
Seba Trick?Disjoint Sparse Table)↵

Instead, create $\log N$ instances of the data structure described above, with k=1,2,4,8,16,..., then each one can handle queries lengths from one power of two to the next.↵

Now, given some query, you can take the logarithm of its length to know which instance will be able to handle it. The logarithm can be taken in $O(1)$ using some bit manipulation. Then, we can answer the queries in a single operation.↵

## Conclusion↵

The examples use range-sum-queries, but this will actually work for any associative operation (I also use identity element to make implementation easier, but it is not strictly required).↵

Therefore, we can answer arbitrary range queries in $O(1)$. More precisely, we can answer range queries with exactly one call to the operation per query.↵

code:↵

~~~~~↵
#define OPER add  // associative operation↵
#define IDEN 0    // identity element↵

int add(int a, int b) { return a + b; }↵

struct hugo_block {↵
vector<int> left, right;↵
int cut;↵

hugo_block(vector<int>& data, int k, int _cut) : cut{_cut} {↵
right.push_back(IDEN);↵
for (int i = 0; i < 2*k && cut+i < sz(data); ++i)↵
right.push_back(OPER(right.back(), data[cut+i]));↵

left.push_back(IDEN);↵
for (int i = 0; i < 2*k && cut-i-1 >= 0; ++i)↵
left.push_back(OPER(data[cut-i-1], left.back()));↵
}↵

int query(int l, int r) {↵
return OPER(left[cut-l], right[r-cut]);↵
}↵
};↵

struct hugo {↵
vector<hugo_block> blocks;↵
int k;↵

hugo(vector<int>& data, int _k) : k{_k} {↵
for (int b = 0; b*k <= sz(data); ++b) {↵
blocks.emplace_back(data, k, b*k);↵
}↵
}↵

return blocks[r/k].query(l, r);↵
}↵
};↵

struct 
sebaDisjointSparseTable {↵
vector<hugo> hugos;↵
int levels;↵

sebaDisjointSparseTable(vector<int>& data, int _levels) : levels{_levels} {↵
for (int level = 0; level < levels; ++level) {↵
hugos.emplace_back(data, 1<<level);↵
}↵
}↵

if (r == l) return IDEN;↵
int level = bit_width(unsigned(r-l))-1;↵
return hugos[level].query(l, r);↵
}↵
};↵
~~~~~↵

<spoiler summary="A Nicer way?">↵

A perhaps nicer way do this is in divide-and-conquer style.↵

To build a data structure that can answer any range query with a single call to the operation, you must:↵

- Build a data structure that can answer range queries that are fully contained in the first half↵
- Build another one that can answer queries contained in the second half.↵
- Build a Hugo DP over the entire array to answer queries that cross from one half to the other.↵

This works, but finding the correct Hugo DP to do the query requires a $O(\log N)$ tree traversal, as far as I can tell.↵

</spoiler>↵

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en5 English estoy-re-sebado 2023-06-29 20:05:03 385 Added some more information about D&C approach
en4 English estoy-re-sebado 2023-06-09 19:17:36 122
en3 English estoy-re-sebado 2023-06-09 18:10:27 741 (published)
en2 English estoy-re-sebado 2023-06-09 17:48:15 15
en1 English estoy-re-sebado 2023-06-09 17:46:17 6345 Initial revision (saved to drafts)