Very strange behavior in time analysis of map and question about unordered_map
Difference between en4 and en5, changed 11 character(s)
**Hello everyone, I hope you all are fine :)**↵

**There are basically two questions, both concerning this problem "Molly's Chemicals ( http://codeforces.com/problemset/problem/776/C )**↵

**Sorry for the long post, I will appreciate it very much if anyone participated in this discussion.**↵

-------------------------------------↵

**_1- Problem related question (about map)_** ↵

First of them concerning C++ map in STL, it is obvious that time complexity intended for this problem is O(N * log(10^15) * search) where search using map is logN so total complexity is O(N * logN * log(10^15)).↵
To make sure that there are only N elements in the map, I do this check: ↵
if(cnt.count(x))↵
    ans+=cnt[x];↵

If I replaced previous part with this:↵
ans+=cnt[x];↵

It will insert x as a key in the map with value 0 if x wasn't in the map, so this should make complexity O(N * log(NlogN) * log(10^15)).↵

So it can be shown mathematically that second version has a constant less than two times than that of the first version:↵
N * log(NlogN) * log(10^15)     <     N * log(N*N) * log(10^15)     =     2 * N * log(N) * log(10^15)↵

but first version runs in 
1497390 ms but second runs in 3901497  ms which is approximately 4 times while time analysis shows that it should be much less than 2↵

-------------------------------------↵

**_2- Problem unrelated question (about unordered_map)_** ↵

Second and last question concerning C++ unordered_map in STL, the average search time is O(1) but in worst case is O(N) and it seems in the previous problem the author put nice cases for anti-hash tests for unordered_map so it causes TLE.↵

But I tried every method to pass those tests, and made for more than 20 different tries,↵
I have used many combinations of those:↵

- Used reserve function in unordered_map, set it to MAX, MAX+7, 2*MAX, 7*MAX and others.↵

- Used max_load_factor function in unordered_map, set it to 1, 0.5, 0.2, 0.231 and others.↵

- Changed hash function, set it to x%prime (tried different primes), tried to XOR it and also add it with a constant.↵

- XORed value before sending it to unordeded_map hoping to change distribution of the numbers.↵

But all attempts to make it pass have failed, although the time limit is 2.5 seconds and map version passed in 0.4 second!!↵

Is there anyway to make unordered_map pass? and why it TLE although all previous attempts which should change distribution of the numbers and make it pass author's cases?↵

**Thanks in advance**↵

**Sorry again for the long post, Wish you all best of luck and have a good day :)**

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en5 English Walid_Amin 2017-02-27 00:07:37 11
en4 English Walid_Amin 2017-02-26 23:55:03 20
en3 English Walid_Amin 2017-02-26 23:47:37 8
en2 English Walid_Amin 2017-02-26 23:46:12 25 Tiny change: '\n\n\n\n**Sorr' -> '\n\n\n\n**Thanks in advance**\n\n**Sorr'
en1 English Walid_Amin 2017-02-26 23:45:36 2629 Initial revision (published)