What are the things that you discovered independently?

Revision en1, by ivan100sic, 2017-10-04 16:22:06

Hello CodeForces!

I know this happened to everyone — you made an interesting mathematical/algorithmic/whatever discovery and you were very proud of it and later you realized it's already well known. What's your story?

I'll start:

I discovered a variant of Mo's algorithm around 4 years ago. I was solving the following problem: Given a static array a1, ..., an and q = O(n) queries. You are allowed to solve them offline. Each query has the form (l, r) and you're supposed to answer, if you were take all the numbers from al, ..., ar, extract them into another array and then sort that array, what would be the sum of all elements at odd indexes?

This is how I was thinking: If all the queries could be ordered such that both their left ends and right ends form an increasing sequence, you could answer all those queries by adding/removing elements from some augmented balanced binary tree or segment tree in O(nlogn). Then again, the same is true when all the queries can be ordered such that their left ends form an increasing and right ends form a decreasing sequence. So, why not decompose the set of queries into such sequences? When we sort the queries by their left end, this becomes equivalent to decomposing an array of numbers (right ends) into several increasing/decreasing subsequences. Then I remembered a theorem which states that, in an array of n2 + 1 numbers, there is always an increasing subsequence or a decreasing subsequence of length n + 1 — this means that we can decompose any array into such sequences, in time — perhaps there is a better algorithm but this was good enough for my problem. The final complexity is — there are sequences of queries and each one can be solved in .

Also, what were your silly childhood discoveries?

I remember discovering, when I was around 7, that in some apartments you could run around in a circle through a sequence of doors while in others you can't — and I really loved those where you can! Later I found out that they were equivalent to cyclic/acyclic graphs.

Tags discussion, stories

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English ivan100sic 2017-10-04 16:22:06 2233 Initial revision (published)