New coding competition: Bot Land

Revision en1, by baobab, 2019-10-29 18:42:13

Bot Land is a competition where you code AI for robots which fight other peoples' robots. I think anybody who loves competitive coding and strategy games will absolutely love it. For the past few weeks I've sank most of my free time into developing strategies and coding bots. Bot Land was released a month ago after effectively being in beta for 4 years.

The game has 2 programming interfaces: a scratch-like interface (for non-programmers) and a subset of JavaScript (for programmers). In addition to coding, you also design your bots (choose weaponry etc.) and you position your bots on the map. The battles are asymmetric: the defender saves their defense and then anyone can attack it (the defender does not have to be online). All battles have 3 rounds, so the attacker can exploit discovered weaknesses of the defender in subsequent rounds. This advantage is mitigated by allowing the defender a higher number of bots, etc. Naturally, there are two leaderboards: one for attacking and one for defending.

The website for the game https://bot.land has some videos and tutorials if you want to try it out. The game can be played entirely in-browser. I'm not affiliated with the developer, I just enjoy the competition and I would love to see more competitors!

Tags #competition, coding contest, coding competition, game

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English baobab 2019-10-29 18:42:13 1321 Initial revision (published)