A general approach to solve subree distinct values queries!
Разница между en1 и en2, 790 символ(ов) изменены
Hello cCodeforces ,today I want to introduce a technique that can solve some problems related to distinct values queries on a subtree .The only way I know to solve array distinct values queryies with updates is using MO's algorithm .The approach I will introduce can solve the subtree version of this problem online with updates in $O(Nlog^2(N))$.So let's get started.↵

**Prerequisites:**↵

1.Heavy light decomposition (it's enough to know how it works and how to implement it).↵

2.Lowest common ances
stor.↵

3.Euler tours (not nec
cessary for this specific problem but I will use it to prove some fact).↵

**Problem Stat
ement:**↵

You are given a tree rooted at vertex 1. You have to perform two types of queries:↵

1 $i val$ : update the value of node $i$ to $val$.↵

2 $u$ : output the sum of distinct values in the subtree of node $u$.↵

**Solution:**↵

Whenever you encounter such a strange problem try to make a shift in p
reerspective .What is the first thing you thought when you have seen this problem? Euler tour? Persistent Segment trees? Isn't it similar to the array distinct values queries?↵
But wait ,I just said it's hard to solve this problem. Didn't I?↵

Can we change the problem into path queries problem?↵

Wait what are the nodes that are affected by an update?↵

I turns out that the affected nodes are all in a range on the ances
stotry path of the updated node .Don't it seem like a standard HLD problem?↵

Not yet .Here comes the idea .Consider our new problem:↵

We want to update the answers in a range on the ancesstotry path of a node .So ,where does this range end?↵
If we 
can figure out how to do this then the problem  becomes a standard path update and queries problem that can be easily solved using HLD.↵
 .Now, here is the fun part.↵

Isn't it obvious the endpoint is the first node on the ancesstotry path that doesn't have an occurrence of ($val)$?↵

How can we find such a node? well this is the same as finding the first node on the path that have an occurrence then going down by one edge.↵

It turns out that this node is the first node that have the closest occurrence of ($val)$ in its subrtree.↵
But what does it mean for a node to be be the closest?↵

Well ,let's consider this node to be the LCA$lca$ of the updated node and the closet node since the LCA$lca$ is the first node on the ancesstotry path from the updated node to the root .Now the problem boils down to finding the maximum depth LCA$lca$ among all possibles LCA $lca$ s ,but how can we do this fast?↵

Well, if we maintain a map of sets that stores for each number the ($time in)s in DFS order for the nodes with a value equal to that number then the node we are searching for is the node with maximum depth among LCA($lca($updated node ,the first node with time in bigger than  the $time in$ of the updated node)$)$ and↵
LCA($lca($updated node ,the first node with time in smaller than the $time in$ of the updated node)$)$.But why is this true in general?↵

Proof of the above fact:**↵

Let's consider the case of (the first node with time in bigger than the time in of the updated node(let's call this node 
u$u$)) then the second case will go through an identical reasoning.↵

Consider taking a node with a bigger time in than u$u$ (let's call it v$v$).↵

Let x$x$ be the first node on the ancesstotry path then:↵
i
I
f a node d$d$ is the closest node to i$i$ then d$d$ must be in the subtree of x$x$.↵
Because 
$in[i]<in[u]<in[v]$ if v$v$ was in the subtree of x$x$ and i$i$ was in the subtree of x$x$ then also u$u$ is in the subtree of x$x$ .Thus taking u$u$ is at least as optimal as taking node v.↵
A recap for what we did:↵
You could rec

**Note** that there is a corner case when there is at least one occurrence of $val$ in the subtree of $i$ we don't update anything.↵

**Also** note that when we update a node we should remove the old value and add the new value but this is can be done in the same way the adding process is done thus I leave it as an exercise to the reader to check this.↵
  ↵
**A recap for what we did:**↵

You could re
flect on how we transformed a subtree queries problem into a path queries problem which turns out to be much easier if we think that way. Then we used a fact that facilitates using the bruteforce approach by finding optimal values to try .↵

Implementation:**↵

There are many implementation de
attailes that I skipped above but if you are curious here is my code:↵
code[submission:258971709]↵

I couldn't find any link for a problem that uses this technique so I made one 
but I am not sure about the quality of tests for TLE solutions.↵
link:
.↵

link: [problem:521454A]↵

You can also optimize heavy light decomposition see 
this..↵

Thank you for reading my blog.↵

I spent a lot of time preparing this so I hope you loved it.↵

**P.S. This is my first educational blog I hope you loved it and s.Sorry for long text :) .**

История

Правки

Rev. Язык Кто Когда Δ Комментарий
en14 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 21:49:55 1 Tiny change: ' resources.' -> ' resources .'
en13 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 16:42:24 2 Tiny change: '\n\n**Note** that th' -> '\n\n**Note :** that th'
en12 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 15:06:42 4
en11 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 14:26:30 355
en10 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 12:13:53 6346 Tiny change: '\n...\n```\n#include' -> '\n...\n```c++\n#include'
en9 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 11:34:08 98
en8 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 11:27:03 4 Tiny change: 'tes in $O(Nlog^2(N))$' -> 'tes in $O((N+Q)log^2(N))$'
en7 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 11:21:56 48
en6 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 11:06:09 85
en5 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 10:44:27 2
en4 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 10:43:39 1 Tiny change: 'ed node$)$.But why i' -> 'ed node$)$ .But why i'
en3 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 10:39:32 40
en2 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 10:36:24 790 Tiny change: 'bles $lca$s ,but how' -> 'bles $lca$ s ,but how' (published)
en1 Английский Haidora 2024-05-01 10:08:59 4269 Initial revision (saved to drafts)