A simpler way to understand Li-Chao tree
Difference between en3 and en4, changed 13 character(s)
_Hi codeforces!_↵
_I was trying to learn about Li-Chao tree by some blog which i can find on gg (codeforces included). But there still some issue i was encountered while I trying to understood Li-Chao tree._↵
_Fortunately! I found that there's a simpler way to understand LC tree by thinking about another approach._↵
_So, I decide to write this blog for two reason :_↵

- _Archive_↵

- _Sharing_↵

_If you feel interesting about this topic, welcome!_↵

Prerequisite :↵
==============↵
Did you read one of two blog ? : ↵

- https://robert1003.github.io/2020/02/06/li-chao-segment-tree.html↵

- https://cp-algorithms.com/geometry/convex_hull_trick.html↵

### I.Which issue that me (or maybe someone) stuck in Li-Chao tree?↵

These question are main motivation :↵

- Why node on $Li-Chao$ $tree$ only store one line that is $min/max$ at point $mid$ which $mid$ is the middle point in segment $[L, R]$ which current node manage?↵
- Why in $Query$ function we get $max$ result on way from root to leaf instead of get a value in node which include point we want to query?↵

I guess that somebody maybe stuck in here, so, we will answer it later.↵

### II.Problemstatement↵

_You must give a data structure which can do two following operation by the best way you can :_↵

- _Add a line $y = a*x + b$ into set $S$_↵

- _Given an **integer** point $x$, find $min$ value of $y$ among all line we added_↵

Similar to $Li-Chao$ $tree$, we manage convex hull by the way maintain a segment $[L, R]$, for each intergers $x$ in $[L, R]$ we store line $y = a*x + b$ such that the line $y = a*x + b$ reach min at point with coordinate $x$ among all of line.↵

_**Add operation :**_↵

We can reach two observation :    ↵
                                  ↵
- Add two line $x = -\infty$ and $x = +\infty$ into $S$. Easy to see that the convex hull look like a parabol with nagative slope. $(*)$↵

- If a line lie on convex hull, it will lie on a **continuous interval** on convex hull. $(**)$↵

![ ](https://i.imgur.com/Bhu9Bkz.png)↵

_Thicker line represent the convex hull_↵

We can iterate over $[L, R]$ whenever we add a new line into $S$ to update the "min line" for each point in $[L, R]$↵

However, by two observation above, we can do ternary search to find point $x$ such that:↵

- $x$ $\in$ $[L, R]$↵

- At $x$ coordinate, the current line $y = a*x + b$ is the "min line".↵

Because $(**)$ then we also need a segment tree to range update (lazy propagation is recommend).↵
**Add** operation is done!↵

**Query operation** :↵
We only need get result on segment tree by go to leaf which represent point $x$. So easy, right?↵

### III.Basic Li-Chao tree↵

I will explain following code in this blog : https://codeforces.com/blog/entry/86731 (code is in Prerequistes section)↵

**Add** operation : Instead of ternary serach and range update, we will search 
the $x$ point with x-coordinate which at $x$, line ↵
$y = a*x + b$ lie on convexhull, we can "walk on segment tree" to find such $x$.↵

Back to the first question in **I** section. By storing in such way, we can get some observation :↵

- If a line lie on a contiguous interval on convex hull, it will be stored in some node on $Li-Chao$ $tree$. $(***)$↵

- If a line $y = a*x + b$ reach min in range $[L, R]$ among all line we added, then any path from root to every leaf $x$ $\in$ $[L, R]$ on $Li-Chao$ $tree$ $(****)$↵
will pass over at least one times the line $y = a*x + b$.↵

**Query** operation : by $(****)$, we get min value of $y = a*x + b$ on path from root to leaf, we will get the min result we want. Which answer the second question in **I** section.↵
All done!↵

### IV.Epilogue↵

That's all thing I can think about $Li-Chao$ $tree$, so this is my first time to write something i have learn on codeforces, hope that my blog will not get nagative rate.↵
Thanks for reading! (And sorry because my English)

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en4 English ngk_manh 2021-10-01 14:49:15 13 Tiny change: 'll search the $x$ coordinate' -> 'll search point with x-coordinate'
en3 English ngk_manh 2021-10-01 12:57:33 1931 Tiny change: 'ind point x such that' -> 'ind point $x$ such that' (published)
en2 English ngk_manh 2021-10-01 12:03:50 800 Tiny change: 'ive slope.\n-If a li' -> 'ive slope.&\break$\n-If a li'
en1 English ngk_manh 2021-10-01 11:04:28 1712 Initial revision (saved to drafts)