Please subscribe to the official Codeforces channel in Telegram via the link https://t.me/codeforces_official. ×

E-maxx translation collaboration on GitHub

Revision en2, by RodionGork, 2014-07-26 11:11:52

Preface

Non-zero amount of users have suggested translating E-Maxx Algo to English. As far as I know some people even started translating in their blogs, though I'm not aware of any attempt seeing great advance and evolution.

This comment suggested to attempt to do this in collaborative manner using github.

I've created a project and pushed few files here. My idea is that we can write or improve articles in Markdown format (you know it since it is used in posts/comments on CF) using pull-requests here (at least at beginning).

The results are converted by simple script into static HTML pages and hosted at the github also

Here they are: E-Maxx in English
And here is the link to project source: https://github.com/e-maxx-eng/e-maxx-eng

Currently here are two sample short articles and utils to convert files to HTML. I know it is bit more complicated to work via pull-requests (compared to editing wiki, for example), but probably we have few advantages also — pages could be hosted anywhere and anyone's contribution is shown in the commit's history. Also this allows to review proposed contributions :)

Besides this such approach could be easily evolved into dynamic web-pages later if we have significant content contributions.

Sequence of steps (from contributor's manual):

1. Contact any of admins and explain what article you want to add or improve. Get the approval.
  2. Fork source repository and clone it to your local machine.
  3. Add or modify files in src subfolder in Markdown format.
  4. Run compile.bat or compile.sh (you'll need PHP 5.3+ interpreter installed) and verify your changes opening site locally in the browser (you'll see the link in console).
  5. Repeat steps 3-4 until all is well.
  6. Use commit and push commands to update your copy of repository at github.
  7. Use pull-request feature to send the request for your changes to be merged.

Please kindly refer to manuals on using git and github anywhere over internet.

Conclusion

I have no naive expectations that all people at once start contributing (even those who told they are ready earlier), however I believe we can push it forward by and by.

If you have ideas like "Ah, such a silly scripts, damn pull-request collaboration — you just did all wrong!" — it would be quite interesting but probably will not lead to any changes unless you start with real content contribution at first. It is not great idea to spend much time on infrastructure without content, you see :)

Tags e-maxx

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en4 English RodionGork 2018-02-10 12:29:23 2640 Updating outdated info about contribution process (published)
en3 English RodionGork 2017-10-03 16:36:53 0 (saved to drafts)
en2 English RodionGork 2014-07-26 11:11:52 -
en1 English RodionGork 2014-07-26 11:10:23 -