Rating changes for last rounds are temporarily rolled back. They will be returned soon. ×

Convolution present on 1^k + 2^k + ... + n^k
Difference between en8 and en9, changed 27 character(s)
The following is a very well-known problem, yet I recently found a nice solution involving convolutions.↵

You're given $K$ and $n$ and you must compute for all $k \in [0, K]$↵

$$S_k = 1^k + 2^k + \dots + n^k$$↵

Obviously, we want it $mod$ some $M$, but let's ignore it for now.↵

There're many ways of solving this problem, but here I focus on a particular one:↵

We start with some standard stuff, by expanding $\sum_{i=1}^n (i+1)^{k + 1}$. Through the Binomial Theorem we get:↵

$$\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (i+1)^{k + 1} = \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=0}^{k+1} \binom{k+1}{j} i^j = \sum_{j=0}^{k+1} \binom{k+1}{j}  \sum_{i=1}^n i^j = \sum_{i=1}^n i^{k + 1} + \binom{k + 1}{k} S_{k}+ \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} \binom{k+1}{j}  S_j$$.↵

Then, we can actually cancel out the LHS via some telescopic sum:↵

$$\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (i+1)^{k + 1} = \sum_{i=1}^n i^{k + 1} + \binom{k + 1}{k} S_{k}+ \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} \binom{k+1}{j}  S_j$$↵

$$\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (i+1)^{k + 1} - \sum_{i=1}^n i^{k + 1} = \binom{k + 1}{k} S_{k}+ \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} \binom{k+1}{j}  S_j$$↵

$$\displaystyle (n+1)^{k + 1} - 1 = (k + 1) S_{k}+ \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} \binom{k+1}{j}  S_j$$↵

From there, we get a recurrence:↵

$$\displaystyle S_{k} = \frac{1}{k + 1} \left[(n+1)^{k + 1} - 1 - \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} \binom{k+1}{j}  S_j \right]$$↵

Now, let's expand the binomial coefficients and we get:↵

$$\displaystyle S_{k} = \frac{1}{k + 1} \left[(n+1)^{k + 1} - 1 - (k+1)! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{k-1} \frac{1}{(k+1-j)!} \cdot \frac{1}{j!}  S_j \right]$$↵

Now, let's define for each $t$: $A_{t}$ as $\frac{1}{(t+1)!}$ and $B_{t}$ as $\frac{1}{t!} S_t$. Notice that now the inner sum in the recurrence it's almost a convolution:↵

We have pairs $A_{i}, B_{j}$, and the sum of the products $A_i \cdot B_j$ is contributing to $S_{i+j}$. The main issue is that we can't do a single convolution between $A$ and $B$ in order to compute $S$, because we need $S$ to define $B$.↵

The alternative is to do some Divide and Conquer (thanks to Errichto who taught me this trick 2 years ago or more):↵

Let's say we want to compute $S_k$ for every $k \in [l, r]$. Let's say $p=\lfloor \frac{l+r}{2} \rfloor$. We'll have a recursive algorithm:↵

The idea is to first compute $S_k$ for each $k \in [l, p]$ recursively. Then to compute $\mathrm{B}[]$ for those values of $k$ and to apply the convolution. Then to update $S_k$ for all $k \in [p+1, r]$. Lastly, solve recursively for the other half ($[p+1,r]$).↵

Something like this, in a very Pythonic style:↵

~~~~~↵
def solve(l, r):↵
    if l == r:↵
        # base case, add the parts not related to the convolution↵
        # use proper modular arithmetics ↵
        # ...↵
        return↵
    mid = (l + r) // 2↵
    solve(l, mid)↵
    convolve(A, S[l...mid])↵
    update S[mid+1...r] with the 
results from the convolution's results
    solve(mid + 1, r)↵
~~~~~↵

The final answer is computed by calling `solve(0, K)`.↵
Given that the sequences being convolved are of size $\mathcal{O}(r - l)$, we can convolve them in $\mathcal{O}((r - l)\log (r - l))$ time via FFT, giving a total time complexity of $\mathcal{O}(K\log^2 K)$.↵

As for modular arithmetics, notice we need the multiplicative inverse of all numbers $j \in [1, K+1]$, hence the modulo better be good (a big prime and also FFT-friendly).↵

That's all, I hope you like it. There are other ways of computing $S$, some of them quite interesting as well. I recommend going through them too.↵

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en9 English aniervs 2024-07-30 08:36:42 27
en8 English aniervs 2024-07-30 08:30:53 2 Tiny change: 's $j \in [0, K+1]$, h' -> 's $j \in [1, K+1]$, h'
en7 English aniervs 2024-07-30 08:19:25 81 Tiny change: ':\n\n\n$$\sum_{i=1}' -> ':\n\n\n$$\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}'
en6 English aniervs 2024-07-30 08:17:38 2 (published)
en5 English aniervs 2024-07-30 08:17:16 10 Tiny change: 'ough them as well.\n\n' -> 'ough them too.\n\n'
en4 English aniervs 2024-07-30 08:16:54 199
en3 English aniervs 2024-07-30 08:12:42 331
en2 English aniervs 2024-07-30 08:08:08 366 Tiny change: ' like this:\n\n~~~~~' -> ' like this, in a very Pythonic style:\n\n~~~~~'
en1 English aniervs 2024-07-30 07:58:28 2774 Initial revision (saved to drafts)