Please subscribe to the official Codeforces channel in Telegram via the link https://t.me/codeforces_official. ×

Will coronavirus affect IOI/ICPC?

Revision en1, by enoone, 2020-03-18 20:39:13

Hello codeforces community. As we know the world is now facing a huge problem, we hear about it everywhere, I am sure even some of you are staying isolated from people because of it. Some events are getting cancelled because of it, and the most important events for our community are also in danger of being cancelled. I am talking about IOI and ICPC WF. I saw some official announcements regarding COVID-19 from both of the events (ICPC, IOI). I understand that they can't decide anything yet, but I am very surprised not to see anyone discussing the problem here.

I personally think there are only 4 possible solutions

1. Host the event, but with less countries participating.

2. Cancel the event

3. Do something online, and do not require people to travel to Russia/Singapore. (The problem here will be trusting participants)

4. Delaying the events (I know this will be very hard, and will cost a lot of money)

I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this (mostly regarding the 3rd point), and maybe IC will consider our thoughts when making their final decision.

Tags coronavirus, ioi2020, covid-19, icpc2020, ioi, icpc

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English enoone 2020-03-19 09:08:04 249 Tiny change: ' decision.' -> ' decision.\n\n**UPD:**'
en1 English enoone 2020-03-18 20:39:13 1249 Initial revision (published)