[Tutorial] Catalan Numbers and Catalan Convolution

Revision en2, by Dardy, 2021-02-07 16:42:03

Catalan Numbers is a well known sequence of integers that appear in combinatorics, there is a chance that you might have run into such counting problems and you might have even solved them with DP without realizing that they are a known sequence. Here are a few problems to get us started.

Binary Trees Count

Find the count of different binary trees with $$$n$$$ nodes, we'll denote to that by $$$C_n$$$. This can be solved by observing the substructure of the problem:

binary tree

From the root, the left subtree $$$a$$$ can be any binary tree of length $$$x$$$, the right subtree $$$b$$$ can be any binary tree of length $$$y$$$, such that $$$x+y=n-1$$$. With the base case at $$$C_0=1$$$ as the empty tree is a valid tree of size $$$n$$$. This directly gives us the answer by the following recurrence relation: (Segner's recurrence relation)

$$$ C_{n+1} = \displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{n}{C_i C_{n-i}}, n \geq 0; C_0=1 $$$

This really looks like a convolution of catalan numbers, so I will refer to this as the Basic Catalan Convolution. The sequence of numbers $$$C_0, C_1, C_2, ...$$$ is called Catalan Numbers, and for reference they are: $$$1, 1, 2, 5, 14, 42, ...$$$ This gives us a simple $$$O(n^2)$$$ implementation with DP, however can we do better? In fact we can, this simple recurrence formula gives out the same values:

$$$C_n = \displaystyle\frac{1}{n+1} \displaystyle{2n \choose n} = \displaystyle\frac{2n!}{n!(n+1)!}$$$

There are a lot of ways to prove this formula, perhaps the most common involves generating functions but I will attempt to prove it using another method. First off though, we will need to learn some different applications of Catalan numbers.

Remember, any time you manage to prove that a counting problem has a solution expressed as a Basic Catalan Convolution, it means this problem has the same solution as all other catalan problems.

Balanced Parentheses count

Find the count of balanced parentheses sequences consisting of $$$n$$$ pairs of parentheses (for example $$$(()(()))$$$ is a balanced sequence of $$$4$$$ pairs). A sequence of parentheses is balanced if each opening symbol has a corresponding closing symbol and they are properly nested, or in layman's terms: a closing bracket never appears before an opening one.

Notice that if you consider opening brackets as a "+1" and closing brackets as a "-1", this problem is bijective to a Dyck word of length $$$2n$$$. A Dyck word is a word of "+1"s and "-1" such that any prefix sum is never negative.

Now, to solve our problem we can think of it using this substructure: "$$$($$$ $$$A$$$ $$$)$$$ $$$B$$$", where $$$A$$$ and $$$B$$$ are themselves valid (possibly empty) parentheses sequences. Let's denote number of pairs of parentheses in $$$S$$$ by $$$|S|$$$. Since we used one pair it follows that: $$$|A| + |B| = n-1$$$. This will make us arrive at the same recurrence relation as before.

Tags #math, #catalan, #combinatorics

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en8 English Dardy 2021-02-10 15:08:10 2
en7 English Dardy 2021-02-08 22:15:24 35 split formula into multiple lines
en6 English Dardy 2021-02-08 22:11:31 1293 UPD 1: added a not very detailed proof of the formula of catalan convolution
en5 English Dardy 2021-02-08 21:35:48 3195 (published)
en4 English Dardy 2021-02-08 14:00:21 254
en3 English Dardy 2021-02-08 05:19:00 4856
en2 English Dardy 2021-02-07 16:42:03 2035 Tiny change: 'es Count\n==================\nFind the' -> 'es Count\n------------------\nFind the'
en1 English Dardy 2021-02-07 15:58:28 1103 Initial revision (saved to drafts)