AI outperforms IMO gold medalists in geometry (this isn't surprising, relevant details in the post)

Правка en3, от Guuber, 2024-04-12 08:22:22

EDIT: I missed a major point from the paper. Go see shiven's comment below!

Paper Wu's Method can Boost Symbolic AI to Rival Silver Medalists and AlphaGeometry to Outperform Gold Medalists at IMO Geometry claims that combining algebraic methods (Wu's method) with synthetic methods (AlphaGeometry) achieves state of the art results in IMO geometry. They used the same dataset of 30 IMO geometry problems which was used in the AlphaGeometry paper. AlphaGeometry solved 25 / 30 of the problems correctly and the "new model" solves 27 / 30. However the new model is just combination of AlphaGeometry and some algebraic bashing so it couldn't have done any worse than AlphaGeometry.

I don't find this result indicative of any new AI capabilities and for example don't feel like AI solving IMO Number Theory problems is any closer than before reading the paper. The fact that some problems which are hard to solve synthetically are relatively easy to bash algebraically isn't really surprising. Nevertheless I do find it interesting that we have an AI model that can solve IMO geometry problems (at least from this set of problems) better than "IMO gold medalist".

История

Правки

Rev. Язык Кто Когда Δ Комментарий
en3 Английский Guuber 2024-04-12 08:22:22 198
en2 Английский Guuber 2024-04-11 16:45:24 100
en1 Английский Guuber 2024-04-11 11:02:29 1223 Initial revision (published)