I will be doing 24h livestream during Marathon24 and I need your ideas! (all of you!)

Revision en4, by Psyho, 2015-12-08 01:47:31

Updated on 07/12 for the last time

• Postmortem -- explains a lot of stuff and it might help you decide if there's any point in watching this
  • Twitch stream -- original livestream
  • YT mirror -- because for some reason a lot of people wanted it

If you have any feedback (bad or good, doesn't matter as long as it's constructive), I'll be more than happy to hear it. Especially since I might do more of these (just not that long).

Updated on 27/11, because it got into "recent actions"

The stream will happen 28/11 Saturday 9:15 AM GMT+1 to 29/11 Sunday 10:15 AM GMT+1

The address for the stream is http://www.twitch.tv/fakepsyho — yes, I mailed with the support and coding on twitch is now perfectly fine. Also, the stream contains all of the essential information, so I'm not duplicating it here.

Also, I'm using this mic, so don't worry about sound quality ;)

Edits:

0) For people who are confused about who took my handle. This guy.

1) I thought I should make it a little bit more clear: I really want to hear what you would like to see. There are no stupid ideas. Want me to eat 0.5kg burger? Want me to play IWBTG? Want me to do push-ups (pls no)? It's entirely up to you what I will talk about. I'm giving free upvotes for every suggestion ;) My goal is to make it interesting for everyone (i.e. across all of the skill levels), so don't be afraid to suggest something that you may feel is very basic.

Short version:

• I will participate unofficially in M24, I don't want to break my streak of winning three 24h contests in a row ;)

• I will do the livestream with full commentary (and most probably with full code although it may not happen due to security risks)

• Since this is for you (across all the skill levels), I need to know what you'd like to see!

Longer version:

Since twitch was born, I thought about doing an educational livestream with solving some problems. The two biggest obstacles are: I wanted to do the livestream during the onsite contest (otherwise there's no thrill, and the conditions are artificial, so even educational values suffers). Unfortunately, this means that the contest would require the participants to have no internet connection. The other thing is that, doing the contest without commentary (and without interacting with chat) is quite boring. If I had participated, this would really hurt my performance. So, this really only works when I'm not 100% focused on winning. Unofficial participation in Marathon24 is a rare occasion to fulfill both of those requirements.

Current status:

• If you have any ideas for the setup let me know. I will stream the editor + any possible visualization (pretty much everything that happens on my main screen). I may stream the livecam if people want it for some reason. I'm guessing I will also use some virtual whiteboard for drawing/explaining things. I may set up secondary stream exclusively for visualization (so that people will know how the game looks even if I'm not looking at the visualization). I may set up dropbox so that all of my local files will be synchronized. The last thing may not happen due to security risk (some participating team could download it and it would be hard to detect).

• The stream will be full 24 hours. Probably even longer since I'll start a little earlier. I may also do some pre-finals testing stream, just to be sure to not mess up things during the finals.

• I'm considering using Twitch. I have some experience with using OBS since I started doing some lame speedrunning recently.

• Small disclaimer. I should also add that this is not 100% confirmed yet, but folks behind Marathon24 loved the idea (or they are convincing liars).

The things I can do:

• I want to start at the same time as other competitors will do. The first 15-30 minutes will be reserved time for me (and hopefully viewers too) to read the problem statement.

• For at least first few hours I will focus on the problem in the same way I would in the contest. I will definitely go way slower since I will be explaining all of the stuff I'm doing. I guess I will shift my priorities dynamically, depending on how I perform.

• I could try to do live interviews with some participants. That may be hard to do technically, but it's definitely a possibility. The problem is, people don't really like being hassled during the 24h contests.

• I'm not tied to talking only about M24. For example I could take a 2h break to talk about TC's marathons or stuff like that. It's entirely up to what you want to see.

• You will be able to ask me questions via chat (less reliable) or twitter (more reliable). I'll try to answer them, unless I will be already braindead ;)

So, to sum things up. Livestream. I need your ideas. Also, if you don't want to miss the news follow me on twitter. And don't worry. I don't spam there too much, since I haven't figured what's the point of it ;)

Tags livestream, marathon24, psyhogonewild

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en4 English Psyho 2015-12-08 01:47:31 597
en3 English Psyho 2015-11-27 13:09:33 676 Tiny change: '3&am=59)\nThe addr' -
en2 English Psyho 2015-09-14 18:29:32 657
en1 English Psyho 2015-09-12 14:08:22 3748 Initial revision (published)