Knapsack DP by looping through capacity first, feat. Python optimisation

Revision en1, by drugkeeper, 2023-05-10 18:14:34

I was doing AtCoder Educational DP Contest, Knapsack 1: https://atcoder.jp/contests/dp/tasks/dp_d

I wanted to loop through capacity instead of looping through each item in the array. All existing solutions that I have found had always looped through each item as the outermost loop. But what if I want to loop through each capacity as the outermost loop? (It is kind of impractical and I tunnel-visioned, but I digress).

Here is the solution I came up with:

My dp is two dimensional, with the first item of dp[i] being the max value, and the second item storing all the remaining items that we have not used, as a list of tuples. For every capacity we get the remaining items for that capacity, and try to use them. Now we just need to update the states for dp[i + wj] if its larger. The remaining items for dp[i + wj] will just be remaining items of dp[i], with that item removed.

Here is the code, which TLEs at the 7th testcase
Here is the optimised code that passes all testcases:

The main change was to seperate the dp array into dp1 and dp2, so that we can avoid unnecessary multidimensional array access. I believe this can still be further optimised but this is good enough to pass all testcases.

Thanks for reading!

Tags python, pypy, 0/1 knapsack, dynamic programming

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English drugkeeper 2023-05-10 18:14:34 2835 Initial revision (published)