Discussion on the latest update of WF2020

Revision en2, by chenjb, 2021-07-14 11:26:42

The ICPC headquarter sents an e-mail to update the status of WF2020:

Content

In summary, contestants of WF2020 won't need to be together. Each individual can choose to be on-site or remote separately. Moreover, it seems we can use our own computers, which means this is still the same as the 3-machine mode as NERC last year.

Although I am not the contestant of WF2020 (yet another sad and angry story), I still think this kind of WF mode is not fair. 3-machine is totally different kind of competition as the normal ICPC contest. Moreover, I don't think ICPC has the anti-cheating or monitoring technology system that is powerful enough in such important event.

From what I know in 2020-2021 season, only Chinese Regionals did use some comprehensive anti-cheating system. What if some contestants share their account to others, like gathering 10-20 people working on the contest. Does ICPC's technology is strong enough to prevent such things happen? It is the responsibility of the host and ICPC to make sure the competition is technically fair.

I know these years are special. The global pandemic strongly affects everything. But I still think any event should be hosted properly. Otherwise, the best choice might be postponed or cancelled.

What's everybody's opinion on this? Especially for those WF2020 contestants.

Tags #acm-icpc, acm icpc world finals

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English chenjb 2021-07-14 11:26:42 6
en1 English chenjb 2021-07-14 11:19:01 3296 Initial revision (published)